Saturday, January 8, 2011

Dr Reverend's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2011 Inductees




Inducted into my Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this day are:

Black Sabbath - How could anyone have a hall of fame without them? And I don't just mean a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but any hall of fame. If I ran a Transportation or Dental Surgeon hall of fame I'd them in there too.

Kraftwerk - If I have to explain this one to you then you just might be a retarded person.

Neil Young - I'm not his biggest fan, he made a few really good records back in the 70s, plus some of the work he did in bands, (which he never seemed to remain in long) like Buffalo Springfield and CSNY was pretty good. He's made records in 5 different decades and continues to be strong influence on modern music.

Ray Charles - This was Skippy's pick. He's a boarder line pick for me, but Skip has so little in his life and I that this will make his year.

Well, that's it for this year. Thanks for reading and I promise to post more in 2011.

3 comments:

  1. Dr. Reverend,
    Welcome Back!I'm very glad you made good on your promise to induct new members to your Hall Of Fame. Absolutley cannot argue with Sabbath, except theyshould have been first ballot. I've written to you before about my reservations with Kraftwerk, but I do really like them. I know you said Bowie and other synthersizin' musicians were influenced by them, but as far as having the legacy that you mentioned.... has anyone but Reznor really paid attention to the Blind White Duke since '83 when he claimed Stevie Ray's guitar work as his own? Neil Young over Paul Simon? Ray Charles over Scott Joplin? I demand a re-count. (Maybe Joplin's a stretch, but only a bit more than Aretha and James Brown). Although, I am a Norf Carolinian and the big newshere is 3-6" of snow over the next couple of days. Please keep this up in 2011, as I need some newsfrom the outside world here and there. Thanks.
    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of Bowie's recent records have been pretty good, especially the ones in which he tries to sound like Scott Walker. I think if he toured today he'd still pack them in. Paul Simon is already in as a member of Simon and Garfunkle. They were on the first ballot. Scott Joplin is way too far of a stretch for me. Don't get me wrong I like and listen to Joplin, but he's just way too removed from Rock and Roll to be considered. I think that Ray Charles is much close.

    If you have someone who you think should be in let me know for next year's induction.

    We got our snow today. About 7 or 8". Had to shovel twice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you check this thing at some point. I just watched this thing on Marianne Faithful. Should she be in? Never thought about it before, but there'd be no Madonna or ex- Runaway's without her. Not to mention all this Fergie- Spears- Christina hodge podge. Needless to say that besides Madonna,( and the ex- Runaways)it's all crap. But I have a 7 year old daughter who already knows a lot of the words to these songs. The pelvis of Elvis my ass. Isn't the point of great music to scare people? Tell Skippy that I'm sorry about his troubles with WK. Thankx for listening.
    Scott in Norf Carolina

    ReplyDelete