Sunday, October 3, 2010

RNR Hall of Incest - 2011 Nominees



The RNR Hall of Incest 2011 nominees list is out and is even more pathetic than expected. Let's start with the good. Alice Cooper, Neil Diamond, and Tom Waits are all understandable as far as I'm concerned. In fact I would have but all of those people in over ZZ Top or Bob Seger. I can even kinda buy Bon Jovi, (whose music i really hate). I think the Beastie Boys, Dr. John, (both of whom I like), Chuck Willis and Donovan are reaching a bit as nominees. The rest are perplexing given that bands such as The Smiths, Rush, Kiss and Kraftwerk haven't been inducted yet.

Chic? Seriously? They want to put Chic in the Hall of Fame? Why would anyone give a shit about Chic? We're talking about a band that was popular for about 3 years in the late 70s. Has anyone even thought about them since 1981? There are thousands of bands that would qualify if issuing a few popular records over the course of a few years were the only criteria for entrance. Why not put Men At Work In? Or how about Sugar Ray?

It's a laugh to think that Chic might make it in, but what's even funnier is that they aren't the worst choice out of this year's nominees. LL Cool J is on the list too. That's right LL Cool J. It is difficult to come up with words to express what I think about this. The only thing I can imagine as leading to this choice has something to do with white guilt on the part of whoever chooses the nominees and its relationship to Rap music. LL Cool J. Unbelievable.

The rest of the group is split between "has beens" who were popular and sold a shit load of records for a few years, (J. Giles Band, Donna Summer) and people who are just too obscure of irrelevant to bother with, (Darlene Love, Laura Nyro, Joe Tex). I have nothing against any of these people or groups, I even have some records by a few of them, but I don't think that any of them should be inducted into an organization that calls itself a "Hall of Fame".

The sub-mental thinking of Jann Wenner, Dave Marsh and whoever the hell else sits on the nomination board is in fine form with this year's nominees. Donna Summer over Kiss? My God. If the Hall wasn't a joke before it certainly is now. Shit, I'd put Deep Purple in over Donna Summer. Or how about Peter Gabriel. Or how about Lou Reed? Sure he's in as a member of the Velvet Underground, but not as a solo performer. Between 1970 and 1990 he was one of the most important musicians in Rock and Roll. Can you even imagine what Rock and Roll would be without him?

In closing I'd just like to remind everyone that ZZ Top is in the Hall of Fame. ZZ TOP!
Fuck, I just can't get over it.

8 comments:

  1. Just curious, why do you hate zz top so much? I don't care much for them myself, but you seem to have a high level of venom to spit at them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not that I hate them it's just that there are so many others who are more deserving than them. ZZ Top were never a great band. They aren't an important band either. How many people do you think ran out to start a band after hearing Legs or Sharp Dressed Man? They just sort of embody what's wrong with the hall of fame, that being that great and important artists are ignored while hacks like them are celebrated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you think people started bands after hearing Kraftwerk? I like them but I don't think that they have any kind of legacy as far as people starting bands after hearing them. I think that the Allman Bros. or even Henry Rollins fer chrissakes have more of a legacy than Kraftwerk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kraftwerk had a huge impact on modern music. Whether people started bands after hearing them (which I think someone must have) or not doesn't really matter. People who already were in the music industry were listening. Just ask David Bowie, or Afrika Bambaataa, or anyone who used a synthesizer after 1977. Kraftwerk has one of the biggest legacies in music since the 1970's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never really thought enough about J Geils to hate them, but I'll take your word for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It may just be Centerfold I hate. Guilt by responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I noticed you have no mention either way on ac dc or van halen for your hall....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yup, no mention of AC/DC or Van Halen...that is correct.

    ReplyDelete