Sunday, July 18, 2010

Dory Previn



On the record "Let's Get Out Of This Country" Camera Obscura have a song called Dory Previn. I didn't think much about it until I read an interview recently with Tracyanne Campbell in which she talks about listening to Dory Previn's music. So I found a few of her records and gave them a listen.

Previn was a movie song writer back in the 50's and 60's. I think she was most famous for the soundtrack to "Vally Of The Dolls". Also she was married to Andre Previn the famous conductor. They broke up after he impregnated a young Mia Farrow. What a class guy. Anyways, in the first half of the 70's Ms. Previn released half a dozen singer-songwriter type albums. It's these records that she is most remembered for.

I found six of her records, (if any knows where I can get her live record please let me know). There's not a bad one in the lot. Her self titled album and Mary C. Brown and The Hollywood sign are the best ones. Her music is very reminiscent of Randy Newman, (or vice versa). Midget's Lament from Mary C. Brown could easily pass as a Newman song. Her subject matter, phrasing, the influence of "American" music from earlier in the 20th century, are all remarkably similar to Newman's. They also share a real craftsmanship when it comes to song writing. One may not like Previn's music, but unless you're completely retarded it's hard not to admire how good the songwriting is.

Her records might not be that easy to find, but I suggest that you do so. The two I mentioned above are must haves, as is On My Way To Where, (if for no other reason than to hear With My Daddy In The Attic). Guess what that song's about...(yeah, it really is).

No comments:

Post a Comment