Sunday, March 7, 2010

Mini Reviews



I haven't had much time to post reviews lately, (fucking job), so here's a few quick reviews of stuff I've been listening to lately:

Young Marble Giants - Colossal Youth (1980) - I really didn't think much of this album initially, but with repeated listenings it's really grown on me. The sound is very consistent throughout the record. The two things that strike me most are the drum machine and Alison Statton's vocals. Both are something you should really hear. I've been listening to this one a lot this week.


Geto Boys - The Geto Boys (1990) - Excellent record. Fuck 'em is one of the best opening songs I've ever heard. The Sweet Home Alabama sample was an interesting choice for Gangsta Of Love, but it kinda works. Listen to this record and then listen to Ice-T's Original Gangster album. It seems to me like Ice-T was spending a lot of time listening to The Geto Boys when he was writing OG.


Kraftwerk - Autobahn (1974) - I never met a Kraftwerk album I didn't like and of course this is no exception. It is a part of the holy trinity of Kraftwerk albums, (the other two being Computer World and Trans-Europe Express). If you don't know this album, or are unfamiliar with Kraftwerk then I suggest that you stop whatever you're doing and go get this record and listen to it. Nothing you're currently doing could be nearly as important as listening to Kraftwerk. They are one of the top 10 best bands of the 20th century.

No comments:

Post a Comment