Monday, February 15, 2010

Lou Reed - Growing Up In Public



Growing Up In Public - 1980

This album has two great songs, three good songs, four ok songs, and two I could've done without. I guess this makes it somewhat uneven, but as usual I can forgive Reed for any inconsistencies, because when he gets it right it's more often than not a grand slam home run. He hits two here as far as I'm concerned with "How Do You Speak To An Angel" and "The Power Of Positive Drinking".

After listening to "How Do You Speak To An Angel" for several years I'm still not entirely sure what it's about. I think it's almost a love song in a way, but who writes love songs that sound this angry? Lou Reed.

"What do you do with your pragmatic passions
With your classically neurotic style
How do you deal with your vague self-comprehensions
What do you do when you lie"

I love these lines because they're questions I could have justifiably asked any woman I dated before MrsDrReverend.
And for those who haven't heard the song, the answer to the title question is "Hello baby". Who knew it could be so simple?

"The Power of Positive Drinking" is one of rock and roll's best drinking songs. Reed wrote a few of them, "The Last Shot" and "Bottoming Out" from "Legendary Hearts" come to mind. Drinking was something Reed knew quite a bit about and he wasn't at all shy in letting his listeners know it. This song is funny as hell and that's all it needs to be great.

"Growing Up In Public" is probably the best description I've ever heard of Reeds career. Especially if coupled with the line from the song, "with your pants pulled down". That's what I think this album was suppose to be, hence all the confessional songs about his family, ("My Old Man", "Standing On Ceremony", "Smiles"). They're not bad songs and can make the listener a little squeamish, but what would a Lou Reed album be without a little discomfort? Probably as shitty as (insert name of Bruce Springsteen album here).

"So Alone" also stands out for me on this record. I know the woman he's singing about. Her name is Sharon. I went to high school with her and I'm sure she's as fucked in the head now as she was then. "So Alone" and "Keep Away" are interesting looks at the relationships between men and women. Lots of attraction mixed with hostility. Not your usual rock and roll bullshit, but amusing insightful comments on reality.

Musically none of the songs are outstanding, but the stronger ones have catchy melodies. The songs are dominated, (as is typical with Reeds work) by guitar and in some cases keyboards. The keyboard parts in "How Do You Speak To An Angel" and "Standing On Ceremony" are particularly effective.

Overall I'd say that this isn't one of Reed's greatest records, but it's a worth a lot more than the two and a half stars that douche bag at allmusic.com gave it.

4 comments:

  1. What score did the douche bag give Transformer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 4 1/2 out of 5, which means that they don't rate it as high as "Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ".

    It's a sick world we live in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AT & T is using Perfect Day in a TV ad to celebrate them and the Olympics. I am sure a piece of my musical soul broke off and died.. wtf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I've seen that advertisement. You object to Lou Reed's music being used to sell AT&T products? I have no problem with it. He's gotta eat too you know. And I don't think his royalties cheques for Growing Up In Public amount to much.

    ReplyDelete